Terbinafine: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT TERBINAFINE
TERBINAFINE belongs to a group of medicines called antifungal. TERBINAFINE is used for the treatment of fungal infections of the groin area, skin (ring worm), toe and finger nails (opaque, yellow and thickened nails), feet (athlete's foot).
• Loss of appetite
• Feeling of fullness
• Feeling sick
• Mild abdominal pain
• Joint pain (arthralgia)
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR TERBINAFINE
• Take TERBINAFINE irrespective of meals or with a light meal. If it suits you, take it on empty stomach or in a gap of 2 hours between meals. Swallow TERBINAFINE with water.
• Avoid heavy meals while taking TERBINAFINE as it will affect the way TERBINAFINE works. You may also experience stomach upset with TERBINAFINE. You are advised to avoid dairy/milk products and take light, non-spicy meals.
• Keep your doctor informed if you are taking any other medication along with TERBINAFINE.
• Do not hesitate to contact your doctor if you are experiencing symptoms like yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice), itching, constantly feeling sick, tiredness, loss of appetite, stomach pain, being sick, fatigue, dark urine or pale stools.
• TERBINAFINE is not recommended for children and adolescents.
• Keep your doctor informed if you are taking any other medication along with TERBINAFINE like rifampicin, cimetidine, tricyclic antidepressants, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, amiodarone, beta blockers, other antiarrhythmic drugs, ciclosporin, tolbutamine and terfenadine.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q) How does TERBINAFINE work? A) TERBINAFINE works by interfering with fungal membrane function and cell wall synthesis. TERBINAFINE inhibits ergosterol synthesis by inhibiting the fungal squalene monooxygenase, an enzyme that is part of the fungal cell wall synthesis pathway. Thereby, TERBINAFINE helps in stopping the growth of fungal infection.
Q) How to store TERBINAFINE? A) TERBINAFINE does not require any special storage conditions. Keep it out of the reach and sight of children.
Q) Does TERBINAFINE cause allergic reactions? A) Yes, allergic reactions may occur as a side effect of TERBINAFINE. You may experience allergic reaction signs like swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat, difficulty breathing, or skin reactions such as a rash or pale or red irregular raised patches). In case you are experiencing these symptoms, inform your doctor immediately without any further delay.
Q) Is TERBINAFINE used to treat flu? A) No, antibiotics such as TERBINAFINE will not work for treating flu, or other viral infections. Using antibiotics when they are not needed may increase your risk of getting infection later that resists antibiotic treatment.
Q) Can I take oral contraceptives (birth control pills) with TERBINAFINE? A) No, you are advised not to take TERBINAFINE with oral contraceptives as they may cause break-through bleeding and irregular periods, so you are advised to use other means of contraception.