Sevelamer Carbonate Tablet: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT SEVELAMER CARBONATE
SEVELAMER CARBONATE uses
SEVELAMER CARBONATE is a phosphate binder and it is used to treat hyperphosphatemia in dialysis patients and also in chronic kidney patients who have high levels of phosphorus but are not on dialysis.
• Upper abdominal pain
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR SEVELAMER CARBONATE
• Take SEVELAMER CARBONATE with meals for best results.
• Your doctor will advise you to get blood tests done before and during the treatment to check blood phosphate levels.
• Your doctor will give diet plan to complement the treatment with SEVELAMER CARBONATE.
• Taking phosphorous containing foods like milk, cheese, meat and nuts will control the levels of phosphorous in the body.
• Usually SEVELAMER CARBONATE is not recommended for children below 6 years of age because there is not enough information about the Safety and efficacy.
• Check with your doctor if you are planning to conceive or are pregnant. Breast feeding mothers are also advised not to take SEVELAMER CARBONATE without consulting a doctor.
• Inform your doctor if you have difficulty with swallowing and have blockage in bowel because SEVELAMER CARBONATE might cause dysphagia and bowel obstruction.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How does SEVELAMER CARBONATE work? A. SEVELAMER CARBONATE binds with dietary phosphate in the gut, causing a hinderance in the phosphate absorption in the blood and thereby decrease the levels of phosphate in the body.
Q. Why vitamin and calcium supplements are given with SEVELAMER CARBONATE? A. Due to either kidney condition or dialysis treatment few people may develop low or high levels of calcium and low amount of vitamin D in blood. Low or high levels of calcium and low amount of vitamin D condition can lead to bone diseases. So, your doctor will prescribe multivitamins and calcium tablets to balance the amount of calcium and vitamins to prevent the development of bone diseases.
Q. Can I take SEVELAMER CARBONATE with ciclosporin (immune suppresser)? A. No, you are recommended not to take SEVELAMER CARBONATE with ciclosporin as SEVELAMER CARBONATE may decrease the effectiveness of ciclosporin. So, please check with your doctor before taking the two together.
Q. Why do dialysis patients need SEVELAMER CARBONATE? A. In chronic kidney disease patients, kidneys are not able to remove wastes and extra fluids from the body. Dialysis helps to remove wastes, extra fluids and phosphate from the blood. But in chronic kidney disease patients, dialysis process is not able to remove phosphate as required, so to maintain phosphate level balance in the body your doctor will prescribe SEVELAMER CARBONATE. SEVELAMER CARBONATE binds with dietary phosphate in the gut, causing a hinderance in the phosphate absorption into blood and thereby maintains the phosphate levels in the body.
Q. Can SEVELAMER CARBONATE cause constipation? A. Yes, SEVELAMER CARBONATE may affects bowel habits and may cause constipation. You are advised to consult your doctor immediately if the condition persists.