QUETIAPINE: Uses, Dosage, Side effects, Composition & more - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT QUETIAPINE
QUETIAPINE belongs to the class of antipsychotics. QUETIAPINE is used to treat schizophrenia (severe mental disorder), bipolar depression and mania (elevated mood).
• Dry mouth
• Weight gain
• Abnormal muscle movements like shaking
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR QUETIAPINE
• Take QUETIAPINE without food either 1 hour before meals or at bedtime for effective results.
• Inform your doctor if you are suffering from heart or liver problems, low blood pressure, diabetes or urinary retention.
• If you feel more depressed or have thoughts of harming yourself while taking QUETIAPINE, immediately consult a doctor.
• You are recommended not to stop taking QUETIAPINE suddenly as it may lead to adverse effects such as nausea, headache, dizziness, unable to sleep, vomiting and diarrhea. Therefore, please consult a doctor before discontinuing QUETIAPINE.
• You are not recommended to take more than the prescribed dose as it may result in unwanted effects such as dizziness, drowsiness and abnormal heart beats.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How does QUETIAPINE work? A. QUETIAPINE is an antipsychotic drug. QUETIAPINE helps to treat schizophrenia (mental disorder) and maniac depression. QUETIAPINE works by blocking dopamine receptors in the brain thereby balances the activity of a chemical called dopamine which is responsible for movement control and emotions.
Q. Can dementia patients take QUETIAPINE? A. No, QUETIAPINE is not recommended to use in dementia (memory loss) patients. Especially, use of QUETIAPINE in elderly people with dementia might result in increased risk of stroke. However, consult a doctor before taking QUETIAPINE.
Q. Does QUETIAPINE cause diabetes? A. QUETIAPINE may cause hyperglycaemia (increase in the blood sugar levels). Therefore, it is recommended to regularly monitor your blood sugar levels while taking QUETIAPINE. If you notice any abnormal changes in blood sugar levels, immediately consult a doctor.
Q. Is QUETIAPINE safe to use during pregnancy? A. No, QUETIAPINE is not recommended to use during pregnancy. If QUETIAPINE is taken in the last 3 months of pregnancy, it may lead to adverse effects in new born babies such as breathing problems, shaking, difficulty in feeding and muscle stiffness. If you notice any of these symptoms in your baby, immediately consult a doctor.
Q. Does QUETIAPINE cause weight gain? A. Yes, QUETIAPINE may cause weight gain. Maintain healthy diet and exercise regularly while taking QUETIAPINE to reduce such effects. However, if you notice abnormal weight gain, please consult your doctor.
Q. Can I take QUETIAPINE with erythromycin? A. No, you are recommended to avoid taking QUETIAPINE with erythromycin as taking together might lead to increase in the level of QUETIAPINE in your blood and may cause irregular heartbeat. However, please consult a doctor before taking QUETIAPINE with other medicines.