Phenytoin Sodium: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT PHENYTOIN SODIUM
PHENYTOIN SODIUM uses
PHENYTOIN SODIUM is an antiepileptic that is used to treat epilepsy and trigeminal neuralgia.
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR PHENYTOIN SODIUM
• Take PHENYTOIN SODIUM as prescribed. Take PHENYTOIN SODIUM at the same time daily for best results.
• Inform your doctor if you are having any allergic reaction after taking PHENYTOIN SODIUM.
• Also keep your doctor informed about all the on going or past drugs you have taken. for example (painkillers, antidiabetic, thyroid etc).
• Do not hesitate to speak with your doctor if you experience life-threatening skin rashes, ulcers, eye problems, breathing difficulties, respiratory problems, liver or pancreatic problems, hypothyroidism, Stevens-Johnson syndrome and blood problems, hallucinations, severe stomach pain, blood in urine, infertility in males, polycystic ovary syndromes and bone disorders.
• After taking PHENYTOIN SODIUM for 15 days report to your doctor if your convulsions become severe and worse.
• Take PHENYTOIN SODIUM with caution if you have a heart attack within 3 months, Strokes-Adams syndrome, heart problems, damage to your bone marrow, breathing problems, liver or kidney problems or diabetes.
• Driving and operating machines may be dangerous as PHENYTOIN SODIUM may cause drowsiness or dizziness. Be careful while performing the actions that need you to be alert.
• Check with your doctor before taking PHENYTOIN SODIUM if you are pregnant or planning for pregnancy or breastfeeding.
• Drinking alcohol with PHENYTOIN SODIUM is not recommended as it may increase the effects of PHENYTOIN SODIUM and result in toxicity.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q) What is PHENYTOIN SODIUM used for? A) PHENYTOIN SODIUM belongs to a group of medicines called antiepileptics. It treats epilepsy and to prevent or control seizures during or after brain surgery or severe head injury in adults and children. It is also used to treat trigeminal neuralgia in adults. It is a condition affecting your facial nerves and causes pain.
Q) What if I take more than the prescribed dose? A) If you take more than the prescribed dose, inform your family members/friends and call your doctor immediately or go to the nearest hospital. Take the medicine strip or bottle with you, even if it is empty or distorted. Take a family member/friend with you to the hospital. Your doctors will ensure your symptoms to subside.
Q) What if I forget to take PHENYTOIN SODIUM? A) If you forget to take PHENYTOIN SODIUM, skip that dose and take the regular dose the next time. Do not take the forgotten dose with the prescribed dose. It may cause increase the effect of PHENYTOIN SODIUM and cause unwanted side effects.
Q) Is it safe to give PHENYTOIN SODIUM to children? A) Yes, it is safely used to treat epilepsy in children. Give PHENYTOIN SODIUM to the child under parental guidance.
Q) When can I stop taking PHENYTOIN SODIUM? A) Always check with your doctor before you stop taking PHENYTOIN SODIUM if you stop suddenly, your seizures may return. If this happens, speak with your doctor.
Q) Can I take PHENYTOIN SODIUM with aspirin? A) No, it may not be safe to take PHENYTOIN SODIUM with aspirin.