Ondansetron: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT ONDANSETRON
ONDANSETRON belongs to a class of anti-emetics. ONDANSETRON is extremely beneficial to patients receiving chemotherapy or radiation as it helps to prevent nausea and vomiting in patients. ONDANSETRON also prevents nausea and vomiting after surgery for adults only.
• Feeling of warmth or flushing
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR ONDANSETRON
• Avoid mixing ONDANSETRON with anything (not even water) before swallowing it.
• Take ONDANSETRON at least half an hour before food. ONDANSETRON works well if taken at appropriate intervals.
• In case of vomiting immediately after taking ONDANSETRON, take the medicine again for effective treatment.
• While undergoing therapy/ radiation, don’t worry if you feel like vomiting as it is one of the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation. If you experience non-stop vomiting along with abdominal pain, immediately bring it to your doctor’s notice.
• Do not stop taking ONDANSETRON on your own even if you feel better. The doctor will prescribe a course between 3-10 days for effective treatment with ONDANSETRON.
• Before taking ONDANSETRON, inform your doctor if you have ever had heart problems like congestive heart failure, uneven heartbeat, liver problems, blockage in your gut or if you have problems with the levels of salts in your blood like potassium, sodium and magnesium.
• Always keep your doctor informed about the ongoing medication or the ones which you have taken in the past, including over-the-counter medicines and herbal medicines.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q) How does ONDANSETRON help? A) ONDANSETRON helps by blocking the action of serotonin, a natural substance that causes nausea and vomiting. Usually after chemotherapy, patients feel highly nauseated, taking ONDANSETRON can make them feel better.
Q) Can I take ONDANSETRON daily? A) No, ONDANSETRON is a strong drug with certain side effects. You are advised to take ONDANSETRON as prescribed by your doctor. If you take too much ondansetron, you may have severe constipation, low blood pressure, or other heart related problems.
Q) Does ONDANSETRON cause constipation? A) Yes, ONDANSETRON is known to cause severe constipation. If you experience severe constipation, you may consider taking a laxative or suppositories to aid in bowel movement. Do not forcefully pass stool, doing this may cause anal muscle injuries and further complications. Discuss with your doctor about suppositories and laxatives.
Q) Does ONDANSETRON makes you feel sleepy? A) Yes, usually drugs that control nausea or treat diarrhea can make you feel sleepy. Dont engage in something which requires mental and physical coordination such as driving etc. For best results take ample rest.
Q) Which medicines I should not take with ONDANSETRON? A) Some medicines may reduce the effect/interact with ONDANSETRON or may cause serious side-effects when given at the same time such as carbamazepine, rifampicin, erythromycin or ketoconazole, tramadol, haloperidol or methadone, anthracyclines and trastuzumab, fluoxetine, paroxetine, sertraline, fluvoxamine, citalopram, escitalopram, venlafaxine, duloxetine. So, always inform and check with your doctor before taking ONDANSETRON with other medications.
Q) How to store ONDANSETRON? A) Do not store ONDANSETRON above 30°C and keep it away from heat and sunlight. Store it in room temperature and do not freeze it. Keep out of the reach and sight of the children.