Ondansetron: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT ONDANSETRON
ONDANSETRON belongs to a class of antiemetics. ONDANSETRON is used to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy or radiation. ONDANSETRON also prevents nausea and vomiting after surgery.
• Feeling of warmth or flushing
• Irritation and redness at injected site
• Allergic reactions
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR ONDANSETRON
• Do not self-administer. ONDANSETRON will be given by registered nurse or health care professional.
• It is recommended to consult the doctor if nausea and vomiting persists.
• Discuss with your doctor if you are going to have tonsils surgery as ONDANSETRON may hide internal bleeding symptoms.
• Inform your doctor if you have constipation, blockage in gut, arrhythmia (irregular heart beat), liver or heart problems.
• Consult your doctor straight away if you collapse or experience chest pain, skin rash, swelling of eyelids, lips, face, tongue or mouth.
• Also, inform your doctor if you have low levels of potassium and magnesium as ONDANSETRON may increase the risk of QT prolongation (leads to abnormal heart rhythms).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How does ONDANSETRON work? A. ONDANSETRON works by blocking the action of serotonin, a natural substance that cause nausea and vomiting. Usually after chemotherapy patients are highly nauseated, and they feel better after taking ONDANSETRON.
Q. Does ONDANSETRON cause constipation? A. Yes, ONDANSETRON is known to cause constipation. If you experience severe constipation your doctor may give laxative or suppositories to aid bowel movements. Do not forcefully pass stool, doing this may cause anal muscle injuries and further complications. Discuss with your doctor about suppositories and laxatives.
Q. Does ONDANSETRON cause drowsiness? A. Yes, usually drugs that control nausea or treat diarrhoea can make you drowsy. Do not engage in something which requires mental and physical coordination such as driving etc. For best results take ample rest.
Q. Can I take tramadol with ONDANSETRON? A. No, you are not suggested to take tramadol with ONDANSETRON. ONDANSETRON may decrease the effectiveness of tramadol. So, it is advised to check with your doctor before taking two together.
Q. Which medicines I should not take with ONDANSETRON? A. Some medicines may reduce the effect of ONDANSETRON or interact with ONDANSETRON or cause serious side-effects when given at the same time such antibiotics, anti-arrhythmic drugs, beta-blocker medicines and medicines used for heart, cancer, depression and Parkinson's disease. So, always inform and check with your doctor before taking ONDANSETRON with other medications.