Nitrazepam: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT NITRAZEPAM
NITRAZEPAM belongs to a group of medicines called benzodiazepines. NITRAZEPAM used for the short-term treatment of sleeplessness.
• Loss of co-ordination
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR NITRAZEPAM
• Do not self-medicate. Take it only when prescribed by a doctor. Ideally, taken for not more than 4 weeks for treatment.
• Take it with or without food. If you are allergic to NITRAZEPAM or to any other ingredients in the medicine, inform your doctor instantly.
• NITRAZEPAM is not recommended for children under 12 years of age.
• Do not hesitate to speak to your doctor if you have trouble in swallowing or breathing, swelling of eyelids, face or lips, rashes, amnesia, jaundice, violent or inappropriate behaviour, nightmares, hallucinations, delusions, restlessness and agitation.
• Do not take NITRAZEPAM if you have phobia, myasthenia gravis, sleep apnea and severe liver disorders. If have any of the above problems, then please do not take NITRAZEPAM.
• NITRAZEPAM is not recommended during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Also tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or any other mental disorder, if you have been hospitalized for mental illnesses, drug or alcohol addiction before taking medicines for severe anxiety.
• You are recommended not to take alcohol along with NITRAZEPAM. Together they bring up very unpleasant side effects.
• NITRAZEPAM is a known drug which can cause addiction and dependency hence other methods of coping up with anxiety and panic disorders should be also taken into consideration in accordance with a doctor/therapist.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q) How does NITRAZEPAM work?
A) NITRAZEPAM belongs to a group of medicines called benzodiazepines. It works by acting on the brain chemicals and producing a calming effect. It induces sleep and lowers anxiety levels. NITRAZEPAM is not safe to use for more than 12 weeks. Please do not self-medicate, taking NITRAZEPAM beyond prescribed duration can lead to long term addiction and harmful effects in the body.
Q) Can I take NITRAZEPAM for depression?
A) No, although NITRAZEPAM has mild antidepressant activity, it is not recommended for depression as it is not the first line of medication to treat depression symptoms. Taking it for depression without asking a doctor can lead to addiction and further complications in the treatment of depression.
Q) What if I take more than the prescribed dose?
A) If you take more than the prescribed dose accidently, immediately inform your family members and call your doctor or go to the nearest hospital. Take the medicine strip with you, even if it is distorted or empty. Do not panic/worry if you experience drowsiness, confusion, speech problems, cold, low blood pressure and difficulty in breathing. Do not hesitate to tell the doctor if you are feeling any other kind of discomfort, your doctor will ensure your symptoms subside.
Q) What if I forget to take NITRAZEPAM?
A) If you forget to take NITRAZEPAM, skip that dose and take the regular dose the next time. Do not take the forgotten dose with the prescribed dose. It may increase the effects of NITRAZEPAM and cause unwanted side effects.
Q) Is it safe to give NITRAZEPAM to children?
A) No, NITRAZEPAM is not safe to give to children until and unless the child needs it for chronic psychological conditions. If the doctor prescribes NITRAZEPAM for your kid, give it with utmost care and precautions.
Q) When can I stop taking NITRAZEPAM?
A) Always check with your doctor before you stop taking NITRAZEPAM. Generally, your doctor will prescribe NITRAZEPAM for about 4 weeks. Then he will gradually decrease the dose. It is important not to stop taking NITRAZEPAM suddenly. If you stop suddenly, you may experience withdrawal symptoms such as severe anxiety, restlessness, lack of sleep, headaches, muscle pain, confusion, mood changes and irritability. If you experience any of those symptoms, speak to your doctor.
Q) Can I take NITRAZEPAM with antidepressants?
A) No, it is not recommended to use NITRAZEPAM with antidepressants. NITRAZEPAM affects the way the antidepressants work and may increase the drowsiness, dizziness and other unwanted side effects which may cause a hinderance in your day to day life.
Q) Can I take NITRAZEPAM with medicines for allergy?
A) No, it is suggested not to take NITRAZEPAM with medicines prescribed for allergy, such as, levocetirizine. They make you sleepy and along with NITRAZEPAM, they may further increase the sleepiness.
Q) Can I take NITRAZEPAM with oral contraceptives?
A) No, it is not recommended to take NITRAZEPAM with oral contraceptives, because NITRAZEPAM and oral contraceptives may affect the efficiency of NITRAZEPAM. Hence you are recommended to discuss with your doctor to try other methods of contraception such as condoms, barrier methods, spermicidals etc.
Q) Can I take NITRAZEPAM with pain killers?
A) You are suggested not to take NITRAZEPAM with opioid painkillers such as morphine, codeine etc, because it increases the risk of drowsiness, breathing difficulty and even may lead to life-threatening situations like coma and death. You can use NITRAZEPAM safely with non-opioid painkillers such as aspirin, aceclofenac, diclofenac, paracetamol etc. If your doctor prescribes you NITRAZEPAM, tell him about all the painkillers you are using, if any.
Q) What happens if I take NITRAZEPAM for long-term?
A) You are advised not to take NITRAZEPAM for more than 4 weeks. Taking NITRAZEPAM for long time may make NITRAZEPAM less effective and you may become dependent on NITRAZEPAM and get withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking it. You are advised to speak to your doctor if you are given or prescribed NITRAZEPAM for long-term.
Q) Can I stop NITRAZEPAM on my own?
A) No, you are advised not to stop taking NITRAZEPAM on your own because you may experience withdrawal effects such as depression, nervousness, difficulty sleeping, sweating, irritability, diarrhea. You may also experience anxiety, mood changes, restlessness and changes in sleep patterns. If you experience any of the above symptoms, tell your doctor immediately. Also, these symptoms may be followed by more serious side effects unless you are treated immediately.
Q) How to store NITRAZEPAM?
A) Keep NITRAZEPAM out of the sight and reach of children. Store below 25°C in a dry place protected from light.