Nifedipine: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT NIFEDIPINE
NIFEDIPINE is a calcium antagonist. It is used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure) and prevent chest pain caused by angina pectoris.
• Feeling unwell
• Abdominal pain
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR NIFEDIPINE
• Take NIFEDIPINE with or without food daily at same time for best results.
• Depending upon your age, weight and condition your doctor will decide the dosage. Elderly people should take it in a lower dose as prescribed by the doctor.
• A low-fat diet along with exercise is highly recommended to enhance and compliment treatment with NIFEDIPINE.
• NIFEDIPINE is not recommended for children and adolescents as there is not enough data on safety and efficacy.
• Women planning to conceive or are pregnant are recommended to check with the doctor before taking NIFEDIPINE. Breast-feeding mothers are advised not to take NIFEDIPINE.
• Your doctor will check your progress with NIFEDIPINE at regular visits.
• Inform your doctor if you have or had any previous history of heart, kidney or liver diseases.
• Before driving or performing any strenuous activity after you have been given NIFEDIPINE, make sure you are alert and normal enough to take up the above activities as this medicine may cause dizziness, tiredness, visual disturbance and even make you faint during the start of treatment.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How does NIFEDIPINE work?
A. Angina occurs when too less oxygen reaches the heart. NIFEDIPINE helps by keeping the blood supply smooth and easy by relaxing blood vessels in the body, so that oxygen is supplied everywhere and the heart functions properly. NIFEDIPINE treats hypertension by relaxing and widening blood vessels which are present in the heart, thus increasing the blood flow to the heart muscles.
Q. Can I consume alcohol while taking NIFEDIPINE?
A. No, you are recommended not to consume alcohol while taking NIFEDIPINE because NIFEDIPINE may cause dizziness, tiredness, visual disturbance and even make you faint. So, you are recommended to avoid alcohol consumption to decrease the risk of side effects.
Q. Does NIFEDIPINE treat angina attack?
A. No, NIFEDIPINE does not treat angina attack. It only prevents angina attack caused by angina pectoris. Your doctor will prescribe other medication to treat angina attack.
Q. Can NIFEDIPINE cause swelling in the ankle?
A. Yes, NIFEDIPINE may cause swelling in the foot and ankle. NIFEDIPINE can cause excessive fluid accumulation in the tissues and hence lead to edema. If the swelling does not subside, speak to your doctor immediately.
Q. Can I take contraceptive pills while taking NIFEDIPINE?
A. No, you are recommended not to take contraceptive pills while taking NIFEDIPINE because contraceptive pills oppose NIFEDIPINE to lower the blood pressure. So, you are recommended to use other contraceptive methods like condoms while you are on NIFEDIPINE.
Q. Can I stop taking NIFEDIPINE on my own?
A. No, your condition may return if you stop taking the medicine in the mid-way. In case you feel any discomfort, please discuss with your doctor.
Q. Does NIFEDIPINE cause palpitations (make you feel like your heart is pounding or racing)?
A. Yes, palpitations occur as a side effect of NIFEDIPINE. A minor fluctuation should not be a worry, however if the palpitations continue and you begin to feel unwell or anxious then consult your doctor immediately.