Montelukast: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT MONTELUKAST
MONTELUKAST acts as bronchodilator and anti-inflammatory agent. It is used in prevention of asthma, sneezing and runny nose due to allergies. Montelukast is a leukotriene receptor antagonist (LTRA) used for the treatment of asthma and to relieve symptoms of seasonal allergies.
• Stuffy nose
• Sore throat
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR MONTELUKAST
• Take MONTELUKAST daily at the same time of the day irrespective of meals for best results.
• Depending upon your age, weight and condition your doctor will decide the dosage do not self- medicate yourself. Elderly people should take it in a lower dose as prescribed by the doctor. Do not give it to children until and unless prescribed by a child specialist.
• Consumption of alcohol and smoking along with MONTELUKAST is not recommended.
• If you have heart disease, high blood pressure, uneven heart rate, diabetes, a hormonal condition called hyperthyroidism or low levels of potassium in your blood. Please inform your doctor before taking MONTELUKAST.
• Do not take MONTELUKAST if you are planning to conceive or pregnant. Breast feeding mothers are also advised not to take it without consulting a doctor.
• Keep your doctor informed if you have or had any previous history of heart, kidney or liver diseases.
• Speak with your doctor instantly if you have sudden dip in blood pressure, severe allergic rashes and swelling in the ankle, face, lips or mouth or extreme tiredness with muscle weakness while taking MONTELUKAST. Your doctor may discontinue or change the medicine.
• Regularly monitor potassium levels as taking MONTELUKAST can reduce blood potassium levels.
• If your symptoms asthma and asthma induced complications such as wheezing, bronchitis, allergic rhinitis increase and you need to take the medicine more frequently, then check with your doctor immediately. There are very high chances that asthma has increased.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q) How does MONTELUKAST work? A) MONTELUKAST is a bronchodilator and an anti-inflammatory agent. It works by blocking the effects of leukotriene (substance produced by the body in response to certain triggers) that cause narrowing and swelling of airways in the lungs. It helps in treating asthma, sneezing and runny nose due to certain allergies.
Q) Is MONTELUKAST sedative medicine? A)MONTELUKAST is not a sedative drug. However, it has been known to cause drowsiness and sleepiness. You are advised to take it in the evening or night time to avoid day time drowsiness. Additionally, you should not take up activities like driving and activities which require mental alertness along with physical coordination. Talk to your doctor in case you experience excessive sedation(drowsiness) with MONTELUKAST. Your doctor may change the dosage or prescribe you an alternative medicine so that you can carry out day to day work without any hinderance.
Q) Can I take cetirizine with MONTELUKAST? A)MONTELUKAST can be taken with cetirizine. No drug-drug interactions have been reported between these two drugs. However, do not self medicate check with your doctor once before taking these two medicines together.
Q) Why do we take MONTELUKAST at night? A) Medical researchers suggest that asthma symptoms tend to worsen during the night and early morning hours. And MONTELUKAST has a short half life of 4-7 hours with blood levels peaking 3-4 hours after a dose. In order to get better results MONTELUKAST is recommended to take at night so that you can get undisturbed sleep and get quicker relief.
Q) Is MONTELUKAST an antibiotic? A) No, MONTELUKAST is not an antibiotic. MONTELUKAST is a leukotriene receptor antagonist used to relieve asthma and symptoms of seasonal allergies.
Q) Can you take MONTELUKAST for allergies? A) Yes, one can take MONTELUKAST for treating allergies; however, MONTELUKAST has been extensively used for the treatment of allergic respiratory illnesses such as seasonal allergies and exercise-induced asthma. However, it may not be effective for other types of allergies. For getting relief from wide range of allergies other medications are more effective such as antihistamines. For best results connect with a doctor instantly.