Metronidazole Syrup: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT METRONIDAZOLE
METRONIDAZOLE is an antibiotic and it is used to treat bacterial infections.
• Loss of appetite
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR METRONIDAZOLE
• Take METRONIDAZOLE during or after meals. Please check the label for directions before using METRONIDAZOLE.
• Shake well before use, measure it with a measuring cup and swallow the whole liquid.
• Your doctor will advise you to get laboratory tests (serology, histopathology) done before treatment to identify causative organisms.
• Complete the full course, do not leave it in the mid-way despite symptomatic relief unless your doctor suggested to do so.
• Pregnant women, women trying to conceive and breast-feeding mothers are recommended to avoid METRONIDAZOLE as it may harm the baby.
• Before driving or performing any strenuous activity after taking METRONIDAZOLE make sure you are alert and normal enough to take up the above activities as this medicine may cause drowsiness, blurred vision, dizziness, hallucinations and fits.
• Always keep your doctor informed about the ongoing medications or the ones which you have taken in the past, including over-the-counter medicines and herbal medicines.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How does METRONIDAZOLE work? A. Cell walls of bacteria protect bacterial cells and they are very essential for the bacterial survival. METRONIDAZOLE works by stopping the growth of bacteria by interfering with the formation of cell walls and thereby clears infection.
Q. How does METRONIDAZOLE help? A. In adults and children over 1 year, METRONIDAZOLE helps to treat bacterial infections like sexually transmitted infection, parasitic infection, intestinal infection and infections of brain, blood, bones, lungs, lining of the abdomen and pelvis. In adults and children over 10 years of age, METRONIDAZOLE treats vaginal infection, dental infection and leg ulcers. METRONIDAZOLE also prevents infection after surgery in children and adults.
Q. Does METRONIDAZOLE treat stomach ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori (bacteria)? A. Yes, METRONIDAZOLE treats stomach ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori (bacteria) in children. METRONIDAZOLE is used as a part of triple therapy (METRONIDAZOLE + antibiotic + proton pump inhibitor). Proton pump inhibitors inhibit proton pumps (present on cells that line the stomach) action and reduces stomach acid production. Proton pump inhibitors create an environment in which antibiotics can work more effectively against Helicobacter pylori and helps the ulcers to heal by reducing stomach acid production.
Q. Can I consume alcohol while taking METRONIDAZOLE? A. No, you are advised not to drink alcohol while you are taking METRONIDAZOLE because alcohol may increase the risk of side effects like nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, palpitations, hot flushes and headache. So, you are strongly recommended to avoid alcohol along with METRONIDAZOLE as much as possible.
Q. Does METRONIDAZOLE decrease the effectiveness of contraceptive pills? A. No, METRONIDAZOLE does not decrease the effectiveness of contraceptive pills but if you experience vomiting or diarrhoea then METRONIDAZOLE may make your pill less effective. So, follow the instructions for vomiting and diarrhoea on the leaflet provided.
Q. Can I take paracetamol while taking METRONIDAZOLE? A. Yes, you can take paracetamol while taking METRONIDAZOLE as there have been no known drug-drug interactions between the two of them.