Metformin: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT METFORMIN
METFORMIN is primarily used to lower blood glucose levels in people with Type 2 Diabetes. This medicine is also effectively used to delay the onset of diabetes in association with change in diet and lifestyle modifications.
• Sudden drop in glucose level (hypoglycemia)
• Stomach pain
• Muscle cramps
• Stomach upset
• loss of appetite
• Changes in taste buds (metallic taste)
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR METFORMIN
• Take METFORMIN preferably with breakfast in the morning. If you are taking it twice a day then take it with breakfast and dinner. If you are taking it thrice a day then take them with major meals such as (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
• Remember to always take it with meals to avoid hypoglycemic events (sudden dip in blood glucose levels).
• A low- carbohydrate healthy diet and 45 mins of brisk walk daily along with METFORMIN has been found to give very good results in people with type 2 diabetes.
• Before driving or performing any strenuous activity after taking METFORMIN make sure your blood glucose levels are in good control.
• Do not hesitate to speak with a doctor if you experience hazy vision, dizziness, yellowing of skin, shaky hands, extreme anxiousness, severe stomach pain and profuse sweating.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q) Can taking METFORMIN help in curing type 2 diabetes? A) Diabetes is a life long condition. However, research for its cure is in progress. METFORMIN helps in managing and delaying the progress of the condition effectively along with diet and lifestyle modifications.
Q) Can other anti-diabetes medicines be taken along with METFORMIN? A) Yes, other anti-diabetes medicines can be safely taken along with METFORMIN to achieve good control over diabetes provided it is prescribed by a doctor. Preferably a endocrinologist/diabetologist.
Q) Does METFORMIN cause weight loss? A) Yes, one can experience weight loss while consuming METFORMIN.
Q) Can I consume alcohol with METFORMIN? A) Alcohol with METFORMIN can lead to unpleasant side effects and elevation of blood sugar levels leading to poor control of diabetes. You are strongly recommended to avoid alcohol along with METFORMIN as much as possible.
Q) Are there any long-term complications of taking METFORMIN? A) METFORMIN is considerably a Safe drug to treat people with type 2 diabetes. However, some reported long term usage hints some conditions such as nephropathy and in extreme rare cases lactic acidosis.
Q) Can obese people take METFORMIN? A) Yes, people suffering from obesity can Safely take METFORMIN. In fact, according to research, long term usage of this drug helps in preventing obese people from other diabetes induced complications such as cardiovascular diseases.
Q) Can I stop taking METFORMIN on my own? A) No, please do not suddenly stop taking METFORMIN without consulting your doctor even if your blood sugar levels have become normal. In case you are facing any discomfort such as stomach pain or vomiting, inform your doctor and he/she will guide you in the best way possible.