Mefenamic Acid: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT MEFENAMIC ACID
MEFENAMIC ACID uses
MEFENAMIC ACID belongs to a class of non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs used for relieving pain and inflammation in the body. It is commonly used to ease period pain, muscular pain, headaches, dental pain and pain after injuries.
• Mouth ulcers
• Rapid heart beat
• Nausea and vomiting
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR MEFENAMIC ACID
• Take it particularly with meals to avoid acidity and heartburn.
• Inform your doctor if you are taking any other medicines for blood pressure, diabetes, painkiller, antacids, steroids and antibiotics.
• Bring to your doctors knowledge if you have or had any previous history of heart diseases, kidney diseases and asthma.
• Do not take it specifically if you have peptic ulcer or a history of intestinal bleeding.
• Driving and strenuous activity to be taken up only when you feel you are alert enough to take up these activities.
• Do not hesitate to speak with a doctor if you are feeling dizzy, experiencing severe abdominal pain, blood in stool, blood in vomit, excessive nausea and vomiting.
• Please do not take more than prescribed MEFENAMIC ACID as it may cause some very serious adverse effects.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q) Is MEFENAMIC ACID helpful during heavy periods ? A) Yes, MEFENAMIC ACID is also used to treat heavy abnormal periods in women specially with a presence of a contraceptive coil. However, If your bleeding does not subside with this medicine please do not delay and get yourself investigated by a gynecologist for pelvic inflammatory diseases and other hormonal conditions.
Q) Is it true that MEFENAMIC ACID can cause ulcers ? A) Yes, the misuse of MEFENAMIC ACID like other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can cause intestinal bleeding and ulcers. Hence MEFENAMIC ACID is to be taken only as prescribed by the doctor. Inform your doctor if you experience severe abdominal pain or blood in stool or vomit straight away.
Q) How can I prevent MEFENAMIC ACID from hurting my stomach ? A) One can prevent unwanted adverse effects by taking MEFENAMIC ACID for a short term only, eating food before consuming MEFENAMIC ACID, keeping a close watch on vomit and stool output. Stop MEFENAMIC ACID immediately if you experience severe stomach pain or blood in stool or vomit. Discuss with your doctor for further guidance.
Q) Is it true that MEFENAMIC ACID causes kidney and liver damage ? A) Yes, long term use and abuse of MEFENAMIC ACID without doctors recommendation can lead to severe liver and kidney damage. You are advised not to take more than prescribed.
Q) Can I take MEFENAMIC ACID with aspirin ? A) It is not advisable to take MEFENAMIC ACID with aspirin. Please check with your doctor before taking the two of them together.