Losartan Tablet: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT LOSARTAN
LOSARTAN belongs to a class of medicines called as angiotensin-II receptor antagonists. LOSARTAN is primarily used in the treatment of hypertension. Additionally, it is also used to protect the kidney in hypertensive type II diabetic patients.
• Low blood pressure
• Low blood glucose level
• Anaemia (reduced number of red blood cells)
• Shortness of breath
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR LOSARTAN
• Take LOSARTAN irrespective of meals as instructed by the physician. However, taking LOSARTAN at the same time everyday during the evening or at night time have shown better results.
• Depending upon your age, weight and condition your doctor will decide the dosage do not self- medicate yourself. Elderly people should take it in a lower dose as prescribed by the doctor.
• Children below 6 years are not recommended to take LOSARTAN. However, children between the age of 6-12 years can be given LOSARTAN to treat high blood pressure under supervision of a child specialist.
• A healthy balanced preferably low fat and salt diet along with exercise regime to be followed to compliment the treatment with LOSARTAN.
• Inform your doctor if you ever had or have any heart related problems. LOSARTAN is not suitable for patients with established heart disorders.
• Do not take LOSARTAN without asking a doctor if you are pregnant ( specially early 3 months).
• Inform your doctor if you have or had any known kidney and liver disorder.
•Speak with your doctor instantly if you have sudden dip in blood pressure, severe allergic rashes and swelling in the ankle, face, lips or mouth or extreme tiredness with muscle weakness while taking LOSARTAN. Your doctor may discontinue or change the medicine.
• Do not stop LOSARTAN suddenly without consulting your doctor. It may pose a risk of high blood pressure and related cardiac problems.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q) How does LOSARTAN work? A) LOSARTAN is an angiotensin-II receptor antagonist. Angiotensin-II is a substance produced in the body which binds to receptors in blood vessels, causing them to tighten which results in an increase in blood pressure. LOSARTAN blocks the effect of angiotensin-II, causing the blood vessels to relax, thereby lowering the blood pressure.
Q) Can I take LOSARTAN with Enalapril/ Lisinopril/Ramipril? A) No, do not take LOSARTAN with Enalapril/ Lisinopril/Ramipril. They belong to group of medicines known as ACE (angiotensin converting-enzyme) inhibitors which are used to lower blood pressure. If your angina has been stabilised with ACE inhibitor, you should not be switched to LOSARTAN. Please inform your doctor about your previous medications.
Q) Can I stop taking LOSARTAN on your own? A) Please do not discontinue the treatment without consulting your doctor even if you feel better. It is important that you take LOSARTAN for as long as your doctor prescribes it. Leaving it mid way or suddenly stopping it may lead to unpleasant effects in your body such as shoot up of blood pressure.
Q) Is LOSARTAN same as olmesartan? A) LOSARTAN and olmesartan both belong to the same group of medicines. Both are used in the treatment of hypertension but LOSARTAN has fewer side-effects when compared to olmesartan.
Q) Can I take LOSARTAN along with anti-diabetic medicines? A) It is best to check with your doctor, you may need to time both the medications or keep a gap as taking LOSARTAN along with anti-diabetic medicines may lead to undesirable lowering of blood glucose levels than normal.
Q) Can taking LOSARTAN for a long time cause hair loss ? A) No, there has been no reported cases of hair loss associated with taking LOSARTAN for a long time. However, if the hair loss is very evident and other remedies are not helping you out such as hair loss oils and supplements then report to your doctor without any further delay. It could be also due other underlying medical condition, it is best to check with a doctor.