Linezolid: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT LINEZOLID
LINEZOLID is an antibiotic and it is used to treat bacterial infections.
• Fungal infection
• Metallic taste
• Allergic reaction
• Blurred vision
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR LINEZOLID
• Take LINEZOLID irrespective of meals daily at same time for best results. Drink plenty amount of water to prevent irritation in the intestine.
• Bring to your doctor's knowledge if you have or had any history of high blood pressure, hyperthyroidism, depression, mental health problems, kidney or liver problems.
• Avoid taking cheese, soy sauce, yeast extracts, alcohol particularly draught beers and wine as they may increase your blood pressure.
• Check with your doctor before taking other medication along with LINEZOLID.
• Do not hesitate to contact your doctor if you are experiencing nausea, diarrhoea, stomach pain, blurry vision, numbness, tingling or pricking sensation.
• Complete the full course of antibiotic, do not leave it in the mid-way despite symptomatic relief.
• Regularly monitor your blood pressure as taking LINEZOLID can increase your blood pressure.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How does LINEZOLID work?
A. LINEZOLID works by preventing protein synthesis of bacteria, which are essential to bacteria to grow, replicate and increase in numbers.
Q. Can I stop LINEZOLID on my own?
A. No, you are advised to take LINEZOLID as long as your doctor has asked you to take it. This is because LINEZOLID when stopped in the midway can lead to recurring of infections with greater intensity. Even if your symptoms improve before the medicine course is complete do not stop or skip LINEZOLID as it may also increase your risk of further infection and antibiotic resistance.
Q. Are antidepressants safe with LINEZOLID?
A. No, it is not advised to take antidepressants with LINEZOLID. LINEZOLID with antidepressants may cause serotonin (natural substance) level increase which leads to serotonin syndrome and symptoms of serotonin syndrome includes high body temperature, agitation, tremor, increased reflexes, dilated pupils, sweating, and diarrhoea. Please check with your doctor before taking the two together.
Q. Does LINEZOLID cause decreased blood cell count?
A. Yes, LINEZOLID may cause decreased blood cell count but it is not necessary for all people to experience. LINEZOLID may interfere with bone marrow activity which in result decrease RBC, WBC, and platelets count. Decrease in RBC, WBC, and platelets count may lead to anaemia (lack of blood), thrombocytopenia (abnormally low levels of platelets), and neutropenia (abnormally low levels of WBC).
Q. What if I forget to take LINEZOLID?
A. First, try not to miss a dose of LINEZOLID as medicinal compliance is a very important. If you forget to take LINEZOLID, skip that dose and take the regular dose the next time. Do not take the forgotten dose with the prescribed dose. It may cause increase the effect of LINEZOLID and cause unwanted side effects.