Iron Dextran: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT IRON DEXTRAN
IRON DEXTRAN uses
IRON DEXTRAN is used to treat iron deficiency where oral administration is unsatisfactory or impossible.
• Abdominal pain
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR IRON DEXTRAN
• Do not self-administer. IRON DEXTRAN will be given by registered nurse or health care professional.
• IRON DEXTRAN will be given intravenously or intramuscularly.
• Depending upon your age, weight and condition your doctor will decide the dosage.
• If you are taking iron tablets then, you are advised to discontinue iron tablets prior to the IRON DEXTRAN administration and for minimum 5 days after taking IRON DEXTRAN.
• You are recommended to have regular blood tests while taking IRON DEXTRAN in order to monitor iron levels.
• Take IRON DEXTRAN with caution if you have or had liver disease.
• Inform your doctor if you have or had arthritis, asthma or allergies.
• Always keep your doctor informed about the ongoing medications or the ones which you have taken in the past, including over-the-counter medicines and herbal medicines.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How does IRON DEXTRAN help?
A. IRON DEXTRAN is a mineral. IRON DEXTRAN helps to treat iron deficient anaemia (lack of iron in blood) by promoting the growth of red blood cells. IRON DEXTRAN restores iron in the body thereby helps in the production of more red blood cells.
Q. How is IRON DEXTRAN administered?
A. IRON DEXTRAN is administered as an intravenous (into a vein) injection slowly or infusion (drip). IRON DEXTRAN may also be given as an intramuscular (into muscle) injection. IRON DEXTRAN is given by a doctor or nurse in the hospital.
Q. Does IRON DEXTRAN affect laboratory tests?
A. Yes, IRON DEXTRAN may affect the blood tests results. Therefore, you are recommended to inform your doctor before undergoing any tests while taking IRON DEXTRAN.
Q. Does IRON DEXTRAN cause anaphylaxis?
A. Yes, but it has been reported rarely. IRON DEXTRAN may cause fatal dextran-induced anaphylactic reactions. Your doctor will administer a test dose of IRON DEXTRAN prior to the therapeutic dose and will check for any symptoms of anaphylactic reactions. If no signs were reported then will administer the therapeutic dose.