Hydrocortisone Injection: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT HYDROCORTISONE
HYDROCORTISONE belongs to the class of corticosteroids. HYDROCORTISONE is used in the treatment of swelling and pain of joints and tendons in conditions such as golfer's elbow (pain on the inner side of elbow) and tennis elbow (tenderness on outside of elbow). Additionally, HYDROCORTISONE is also used to treat severe asthma, allergy and shock due to infection, injury or failure of adrenal glands.
• Changes in mood
• Skin reactions at the injection site
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR HYDROCORTISONE
• Do not self-administer. HYDROCORTISONE is usually given by a medical practitioner or nurse.
• You are advised to inform your doctor if you have just received any vaccination as HYDROCORTISONE might affect the working of few vaccines.
• While taking HYDROCORTISONE if you get measles or chickenpox, immediately consult your doctor as you may fall sick seriously.
• If you notice changes in vision such as blurred vision or other disturbances while taking HYDROCORTISONE, please consult your doctor.
• Before taking HYDROCORTISONE, you are advised to inform your doctor if you are suffering from or have a history of diabetes, severe depression, tuberculosis, fits, high blood pressure, liver, kidney or heart problems.
• If you notice swollen lips, face or throat, rash and itching, please consult your doctor as it may be due to an allergic reaction. Also inform your doctor if you are allergic to HYDROCORTISONE.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. Can I take HYDROCORTISONE with furosemide? A. No, you are recommended to avoid taking HYDROCORTISONE with furosemide as taking together may result in adverse effects such as loss of appetite, dizziness, muscle pains, confusion or weakness. However, consult your doctor before taking HYDROCORTISONE with other medicines.
Q. What is a blue steroid card? A. A blue steroid card is given by a doctor to patients taking HYDROCORTISONE for more than 3 weeks which comprises of information regarding medicine being taken along with dosage instructions. This card is important in case the patient meets with an accident or fall sick. Hence, it is advised to carry blue steroid card all the time.
Q. Does use of HYDROCORTISONE cause mental health problems? A. Yes, use of HYDROCORTISONE may cause mental health problems which usually occurs when taken in high doses. Usually, the problems get diminished when use of HYDROCORTISONE is stopped or dose is reduced. However, if the problems persist particularly depression or suicidal thoughts, please consult a doctor immediately.
Q. How do you administer HYDROCORTISONE? A. HYDROCORTISONE is usually administered as an intravenous (into a vein) or intramuscular (into muscle) injection by a medical practitioner or nurse.
Q. Does HYDROCORTISONE cause weight gain? A. Yes, HYDROCORTISONE may cause weight gain when used in high doses. HYDROCORTISONE is a steroid which affects the metabolism and fat deposition in the body leading to increased appetite and causing weight gain. However, if you notice unexpected weight gain, please consult your doctor.
Q. Is HYDROCORTISONE a steroid? A. Yes, HYDROCORTISONE is a steroid which belongs to the class of corticosteroids. HYDROCORTISONE is used to reduce inflammation in the body.