Gatifloxacin Tablet: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT GATIFLOXACIN
GATIFLOXACIN belongs to the class of fluoroquinolone antibiotics. GATIFLOXACIN is used to treat bacterial infections of the skin, urinary tract, lungs and sinus. Additionally, GATIFLOXACIN is used to treat certain sexually transmitted diseases caused by bacteria.
• Stomach pain
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR GATIFLOXACIN
• If you notice any changes in your blood sugar levels while taking GATIFLOXACIN, please consult a doctor immediately.
• Inform you doctor if you are taking other medicines such as procainamide, amiodarone, quinidine or sotalol before taking GATIFLOXACIN.
• If you are taking medicines such as furosemide and hydrochlorothiazide, you are recommended to avoid taking GATIFLOXACIN as it may lead to hypokalaemia (low potassium in blood).
• You are advised not to take GATIFLOXACIN if you are allergic to quinolone antibiotics such as levofloxacin or ciprofloxacin.
• You are advised to complete the full course of medication even if you find symptomatic relief to avoid relapse of symptoms.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How does GATIFLOXACIN work?
A. GATIFLOXACIN is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. GATIFLOXACIN is used to treat several bacterial infections in the body. GATIFLOXACIN works by inhibiting bacterial enzyme DNA gyrase which is essential for DNA replication and repair thereby kills bacteria and treats infection.
Q. Can a diabetic patient take GATIFLOXACIN?
A. No, a diabetic patient is not recommended to take GATIFLOXACIN as it may cause changes in blood sugar levels leading to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) or hyperglycemia (high blood sugar). However, consult a doctor before taking GATIFLOXACIN.
Q. Does GATIFLOXACIN treat viral infections?
A. No, GATIFLOXACIN doesn’t treat viral infections such as common cold. GATIFLOXACIN is used to treat bacterial infections and doesn’t kill viruses.
Q. Is GATIFLOXACIN used to treat gonorrhea?
A. Yes, GATIFLOXACIN may be used to treat gonorrhoea. GATIFLOXACIN is an antibiotic which kills bacteria and treats the infection. However, consult a doctor before using GATIFLOXACIN.
Q. Can I take multivitamins with GATIFLOXACIN?
A. Yes, you can take multivitamins with GATIFLOXACIN. You are suggested to take medicines such as multivitamins or mineral supplements containing calcium, zinc and iron 4 hours after taking GATIFLOXACIN as these might interfere with the absorption of GATIFLOXACIN. However, consult your doctor before taking GATIFLOXACIN with other medicines.