Flupenthixol Injection: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT FLUPENTHIXOL
FLUPENTHIXOL belongs to a group of medicines called antipsychotics. FLUPENTHIXOL is used in the treatment of Schizophrenia.
• Dry mouth
• Muscle spasm
• Rigidity of the whole body
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR FLUPENTHIXOL
• Do not self-administer. FLUPENTHIXOL FLUPENTHIXOL will be given by a registered nurse or a health care professional.
• FLUPENTHIXOL will be given intramuscularly.
• FLUPENTHIXOL is not recommended for children and adolescents due to lack of data on safety.
• While taking FLUPENTHIXOL, avoid alcohol consumption as alcohol may cause additional negative effects.
• Pregnant women, breast-feeding mothers or woman trying to conceive are recommended to check with their doctor before taking FLUPENTHIXOL as it could harm the baby.
• Inform your doctor if you have/had breathing problem, epilepsy, diabetes, glaucoma, kidney, liver or thyroid problems.
• Drive only if you are alert as FLUPENTHIXOL may cause dizziness and sleepiness.
• Always keep your doctor informed about the ongoing medications or the ones which you have taken in the past, including over-the-counter medicines and herbal medicines.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How does FLUPENTHIXOL work? A. FLUPENTHIXOL works by blocking the excess production of chemical messengers (dopamine and serotonin) which are involved in mood, thinking, behaviour and perception. This prevents the increased dopamine activity and helps control symptoms of schizophrenia.
Q. Does FLUPENTHIXOL cause weight gain? A. Yes, FLUPENTHIXOL may cause weight gain. FLUPENTHIXOL may increase the appetite leading to weight gain. It is advisable to follow healthy diet and exercise while you are on this medication. Please inform your doctor if you think you’ve put on weight than normal.
Q. Is FLUPENTHIXOL antidepressant? A. FLUPENTHIXOL is not an antidepressant; it is a antipsychotic drug which is used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorders.
Q. Does taking FLUPENTHIXOL increase the risk of depression and suicidal ideations? A. Yes, it has been reported that FLUPENTHIXOL may increase the risk of depression and suicidal ideations. These symptoms usually start after few days or weeks of starting the FLUPENTHIXOL. Do not hesitate to inform your doctor if you have thoughts of self-harm or infliction to yourself. Your doctor may prescribe other medications for treatment of depression or suicidal ideations.
Q. Can I take moxifloxacin while taking FLUPENTHIXOL? A. No, you are advised not to take moxifloxacin while taking FLUPENTHIXOL because combination of both can cause irregular heart rhythms. Check with your doctor taking any medicines.