Ethambutol Tablet: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT ETHAMBUTOL
ETHAMBUTOL belongs to the class of medicines known as anti-tuberculosis. ETHAMBUTOL is used to treat and prevent tuberculosis.
• Loss of vision
• Color blindness
• High levels of uric acid in blood
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR ETHAMBUTOL
• Take ETHAMBUTOL with meals to avoid stomach upset.
• Keep your doctor informed if you have or had any previous history of heart, kidney or liver diseases and problems with your eyesight.
• Pregnant women or women trying to conceive should discuss with their doctor compulsorily before taking it.
• Before driving or performing any strenuous activity after taking ETHAMBUTOL make sure you are alert and normal enough to take up the above activities.
• Consult your doctor immediately if you find symptoms of allergic reaction such as sudden wheeziness, difficulty breathing, swelling of the face, eyes, lips, throat, irregular heartbeat. Also, do not take ETHAMBUTOL if you have jaundice (yellowing of eyes and skin).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q) How does ETHAMBUTOL work? A) ETHAMBUTOL works by slowing down the growth of the tuberculosis causing bacteria.
Q) Can I take antacids with ETHAMBUTOL? A) Always check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking ETHAMBUTOL with any antacids. This is with special reference to antacid medicines containing aluminium hydroxide. There are known drug-drug interactions which can make ETHAMBUTOL less effective when taken together.
Q) Should I undergo eye testing before taking ETHAMBUTOL? A) Yes, your doctor may arrange for a full check of your eyesight before you start taking ETHAMBUTOL. You are advised to report your doctor immediately, if you notice any changes to your eyesight while taking this medicine.
Q) Does ETHAMBUTOL cause dizziness? A) Yes, ETHAMBUTOL can cause dizziness and problems with eyesight, disorientation and tingling/numbness in hands or feet. You are advised not to drive or operate machinery if you experience the above problems.
Q) Does ETHAMBUTOL cause eye problems? A) Yes, ETHAMBUTOL may cause eye problems such as loss of vision, blurred vision, color blindness or eye pain. Generally, eye sight will return to normal after termination of treatment with ETHAMBUTOL. However, in rare cases it may take longer than usual to return to normal or may become permanent. Please consult your doctor if you find any of the above symptoms.
Q) Can I stop taking ETHAMBUTOL on my own? A) No, do no stop taking ETHAMBUTOL on your own. To cure your infection completely, continue taking ETHAMBUTOL for as long as your doctor has prescribed it. Do not stop taking ETHAMBUTOL even though you feel better. Do not hesitate to speak with your doctor if you are feeling any kind of discomfort while taking ETHAMBUTOL
Q) How to store ETHAMBUTOL? A) Do not store ETHAMBUTOL above 25°C and store away from heat and sunlight. Store it in room temperature and do not freeze it. Keep out of the reach and sight of the children.