Esomeprazole: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT ESOMEPRAZOLE
ESOMEPRAZOLE is a proton pump inhibitor. ESOMEPRAZOLE is used in the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), peptic ulcer disease. ESOMEPRAZOLE helps in prevention of NSAID-associated gastric ulcer in adults. ESOMEPRAZOLE helps in reducing the risk of duodenal ulcer recurrence by eradication of H. pylori. ESOMEPRAZOLE is also used in the treatment of Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
• Nausea and vomiting.
• Dry mouth.
• Noncancerous polyps (abnormal tissue growth) in stomach.
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR ESOMEPRAZOLE
• Take ESOMEPRAZOLE at least 45- 30 mins before meals particularly for the medicine to work effectively.
• Taking ESOMEPRAZOLE in the morning will effectively reduce stomach acid production for a long duration in the day.
• ESOMEPRAZOLE is not advisable for children until and unless prescribed by a child specialist.
• If you do not get relief from your symptoms within 10-15 days of taking ESOMEPRAZOLE discuss with your doctor, there may be some other underlying medical condition which needs to be investigated.
• Check for blood in stool, incase you experience occult blood (blood in stool), then inform your doctor instantly and stop taking ESOMEPRAZOLE
• For people taking ESOMEPRAZOLE for a long time you are advised to keep a check on your calcium levels. Taking ESOMEPRAZOLE for a long time leads to depletion of calcium and magnesium resulting in brittle and weak bones.
• Check with your doctor once and take additional vitamin and mineral supplements along with ESOMEPRAZOLE treatment such as calcium, vitamin D and other essential minerals.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How does ESOMEPRAZOLE works? A. ESOMEPRAZOLE works by reducing the acid production in the stomach. By reducing the acid production in the stomach it prevents you from acidic refluxes and ulcers.
Q. Can ESOMEPRAZOLE be given in patients with cancer? A. No, you are advised not take ESOMEPRAZOLE if you are on treatment for any type of cancer since ESOMEPRAZOLE increase antitumor effect and there are high chances of drug-drug interactions between ESOMEPRAZOLE and cancer drugs. So, your doctor may prescribe ESOMEPRAZOLE if he/she is sure about the benefits of the medicine and also the risks.
Q. Why ESOMEPRAZOLE given along with painkillers(NSAIDs)? A. When there is a long term use of NSAIDs the body may have a tendency to acquire stomach ulcers due to the gentle lining of the stomach, in order to control that your doctor may prescribe ESOMEPRAZOLE along with NSAIDs.
Q. Does ESOMEPRAZOLE cause hip fracture? A. Yes, ESOMEPRAZOLE may cause hip fracture. ESOMEPRAZOLE interfere with calcium absorption in the stomach, which leads to decrease in calcium levels in bones, this may lead to fractures. So, you are advised to take more calcium supplements when taking ESOMEPRAZOLE as prescribed by your doctor.
Q. Does ESOMEPRAZOLE cause hair loss? A. Yes, ESOMEPRAZOLE can cause hair loss. One can experience mild to moderate hair loss while consuming ESOMEPRAZOLE. But incase there is significant hair loss do not delay inform the doctor right away. Check for other underlying medical causes which also lead to hair loss.
Q. What if I missed the dose of ESOMEPRAZOLE? A. First of all, try not to miss a dose of ESOMEPRAZOLE as medicinal compliance is a very important. However, while taking the next dose do not take a double dose to compensate for the missed dose. Instead take only one pill at the time of next dose.
Q. Can I stop taking ESOMEPRAZOLE without completing full-course prescribed? A. No, please do not stop taking ESOMEPRAZOLE until your doctor tells you to stop even if your symptoms improve. Symptoms may return if stopped without completing the prescribed course.
Q. Can I take ibuprofen with ESOMEPRAZOLE? A. No, if you are taking ESOMEPRAZOLE for heartburn relief then you are advised to not to take painkillers like ibuprofen or aspirin along with ESOMEPRAZOLE. This is because these medications can make your heartburn worse. Speak with your doctor, he may prescribe you alternate painkiller medications.
Q. Does ESOMEPRAZOLE have any interaction with any test result? A. Yes, ESOMEPRAZOLE may alter the test result of certain blood test like Chromogranin A. You are advised to speak with your doctor if you are due for this test before taking ESOMEPRAZOLE.