Escitalopram: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT ESCITALOPRAM
ESCITALOPRAM is an selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor(SSRI) that is used to treat depression and anxiety disorder.
• Dry mouth
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR ESCITALOPRAM
• Do not self medicate. Take it only when prescribed by a doctor.
• ESCITALOPRAM should be taken as per doctor's instructions. It is best to take it in the day time as ESCITALOPRAM may cause sleeplessness if taken in the night.
• Keep your doctor informed if you have or had heart, kidney and liver diseases.
• Do not hesitate to speak with your doctor if you have trouble in swallowing or breathing, swelling of eyelids, face or lips, rashes, amnesia, jaundice, violent or inappropriate behaviour, nightmares, hallucinations, delusions, restlessness and agitation.
• Also tell your doctor if you have a history of depression or any other mental disorder, hospitalized for mental illnesses, drug or alcohol addiction before taking medicines for severe anxiety.
• You are recommended not to take alcohol along with ESCITALOPRAM. Together they bring up very unpleasant side effects.
• Pregnant women or women trying to conceive should discuss with their doctor compulsorily before taking it.
• Enrolling in activities like yoga, swimming, dancing etc can help in overcoming depression and anxiety. Additionally, Breathing exercises (pranayams) have shown remarkable effects in coping up with depression and anxiety.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. What is ESCITALOPRAM used for? A. ESCITALOPRAM belongs to a group of drugs called antidepressants. It works on brain cells and helps in calming down your anxiety and lifting your spirits from depression. It is used to treat depression, anxiety disorders, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder.
Q. What if I take more than the prescribed dose? A. If you take more than the prescribed dose, inform your family members/friends and call your doctor immediately or go to the nearest hospital. Take the medicine strip or bottle with you, even if it is empty or distorted. Do not panic if you experience dizziness, tremor, agitation, irregular heartbeat, nausea and coma, convulsions, low blood pressure. Your doctors will ensure your symptoms to subside.
Q. What if I forget to take ESCITALOPRAM? A. If you forget to take ESCITALOPRAM, skip that dose and take the regular dose the next time. Do not take the forgotten dose with the prescribed dose. It may cause increase the effect of ESCITALOPRAM and cause side effects.
Q. When can I stop taking ESCITALOPRAM? A. Always check with your doctor before stopping the medicine. It is important not to stop taking ESCITALOPRAM suddenly. Do not panic if you experience withdrawal symptoms such as dizziness, sleep problems, anxiety, headache, tremor, confusion, irritation, diarrhoea, blurred vision, palpitations. If you experience any of these withdrawal symptoms seek medical guidance from a doctor/ therapist.
Q. Can I take ESCITALOPRAM with omeprazole? A. No, it is not Safe to take ESCITALOPRAM with omeprazole. It may result in increased levels of drug in the blood.
Q. Is it safe to give ESCITALOPRAM to children? A. No, it may not be safe to treat children with ESCITALOPRAM. If the doctor prescribes ESCITALOPRAM to your kid, talk to him about the safety of using ESCITALOPRAM in children.