Diltiazem: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT DILTIAZEM
DILTIAZEM is a calcium channel blocker. DILTIAZEM is used for lowering blood pressure (hypertension) and also to treat (long-term) and prevent chest pain (angina).
• Edema (Swelling)
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR DILTIAZEM
• Take DILTIAZEM with or without food daily at same time for best results.
• Depending on your age, weight and condition your doctor will decide the dosage.
• A low-fat diet along with exercise is highly recommended to enhance and compliment treatment with DILTIAZEM.
• You are recommended not to take DILTIAZEM for angina attacks because DILTIAZEM is used for preventing angina but not for treating angina attacks.
• DILTIAZEM is not recommended for children, pregnant women and breast-feeding mothers.
• Inform your doctor if you have or had any previous history of heart, kidney or liver diseases.
• Before driving or performing any strenuous activity after taking DILTIAZEM make sure you are alert and normal enough to take up the above activities as this medicine may induce dizziness or tiredness.
• Inform your doctor if you have liver or kidney problems because your doctor will monitor your liver and kidney functioning during the treatment with DILTIAZEM by carrying out few laboratory tests.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How does DILTIAZEM help? A. DILTIAZEM is a calcium channel blocker. It works by relaxing and widening blood vessels in high blood pressure patients and this action lowers blood pressure. For patients with chest pain (angina), DILTIAZEM helps by keeping the blood supply smooth and easy by widening arteries (blood vessels) in the heart to provide enough oxygen to the heart. Chest pain occurs when there is not enough oxygen supply to the heart.
Q. Does DILTIAZEM cure chest pain and hypertension? A. No, DILTIAZEM isnt a cure for chest pain and hypertension. It only helps to prevent angina attacks and keeps the blood pressure under control.
Q. Does DILTIAZEM cause hypotension (low blood pressure)? A. DILTIAZEM if taken in higher doses can cause hypotension. If you have accidentally taken more than prescribed then consult your doctor immediately as you may experience symptoms like slow heartbeat, collapse and changes in the heart rhythm.
Q. Does DILTIAZEM cause palpitations (make you feel like your heart is pounding or racing)? A. Yes, palpitations occur as a side effect of DILTIAZEM. A minor fluctuation should not be a worry, however if the palpitations continue and you begin to feel unwell or anxious then consult your doctor immediately.
Q. Can DILTIAZEM cause swelling in the ankle? A) Yes, DILTIAZEM may cause swelling in the foot and ankle. DILTIAZEM can cause excessive fluid accumulation in the tissues and hence leads to edema. If the swelling does not subside, speak to your doctor immediately.
Q. Can DILTIAZEM be taken with antibiotics? A. No, you are recommended not to take antibiotics along with DILTIAZEM until and unless prescribed by a doctor, because there have been known drug-drug interactions between the two of them causing unpleasant side-effects. So, always check with your doctor before taking the two together.
Q. Can I stop taking DILTIAZEM on my own? A. No, your condition may return if you stop taking the medicine in the mid-way. In case if you feel any discomfort, please discuss with your doctor.