Cyproheptadine: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT CYPROHEPTADINE
CYPROHEPTADINE belongs to a class known as antihistamines. It is used to control the symptoms of allergic conditions such as urticaria, hay fever, food allergy, inhalant allergy, angioedema (fluid build-up in the tissues below the skin), dermatographia (scratches turn into welts), cold urticaria, nasal inflammation with sneezing, congestion and running nose.
• Dry mouth
• Blurred vision
• Allergic reactions
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR CYPROHEPTADINE
• Take CYPROHEPTADINE irrespective of meals at same time for best results.
• Shake well before use and carefully measure the dose with measuring spoon provided with the medicine.
• CYPROHEPTADINE is not recommended to new-borns and premature babies.
• If your symptoms increase despite of taking the medicine for more than 3-4 days, then check with your doctor immediately. There are very high chances that allergic symptoms have gone uncontrolled.
• Be cautious while driving and engaging in activities which require mental and physical coordination. CYPROHEPTADINE can cause mild drowsiness and sleepiness.
• Inform your doctor if you have or had any previous history of asthma, glaucoma heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, stomach/intestine problems, seizures, difficulty urinating or hyperthyroidism.
• Consult your doctor instantly if you experience unusual swelling, rashes, fluctuations in heartbeats, mood changes and difficulty urinating.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How does CYPROHEPTADINE work? A. CYPROHEPTADINE is very effective in arresting a wide spectrum of allergies. CYPROHEPTADINE acts as a highly selective antagonist of the histamine H1 receptor. When allergic reactions occur in the body the body produces a chemical called "histamines" hence CYPROHEPTADINE helps in arresting the histamines as it is an antihistamine and brings us relief from symptoms of allergies.
Q. Does CYPROHEPTADINE treat migraine? A. Yes, CYPROHEPTADINE treat migraine as it also blocks a chemical called serotonin, which is involved in causing migraine.
Q. Does CYPROHEPTADINE cause weight gain? A. Yes, CYPROHEPTADINE increase appetite and thus may leads to weight gain. It is advisable to follow healthy diet and make sure to do exercise while you are on this medication. Please inform your doctor if you think you've put on weight than normal.
Q. Can I use CYPROHEPTADINE to treat cold? A. CYPROHEPTADINE is not the first line of medicine to treat cold but it is extensively used to treat cold or allergy symptoms such as sneezing, itching, watery eyes, or runny nose. Do not take it for more than 2-3 days if you don't get relief. See a doctor if your symptoms persist.
Q. Does CYPROHEPTADINE cause sedation? A. Yes, CYPROHEPTADINE causes sedation. CYPROHEPTADINE crosses the blood-brain barrier, and for this reason, it produces sedation. You are advised to take it in the evening or night time to avoid drowsiness and sleepiness during the day. But if you are having severe allergic reactions and the doctor has asked you to take twice a day then please follow doctors’ instructions.