Cetirizine: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT CETIRIZINE
CETIRIZINE belongs to a class known as antihistamines. It is used in the treatment of number of allergies such as hay fever(allergy to pollen, dust, or other substances in the air), allergies, angioedema and urticaria.
• Dry mouth
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR CETIRIZINE
• Take CETIRIZINE in the evening or night irrespective of meals for best results.
• Only take CETIRIZINE twice a day if it has been prescribed by a doctor. Do not self-medicate.
• Consumption of alcohol and smoking along with CETIRIZINE is not recommended.
• Check with your doctor if you are planning to conceive or pregnant. Breast feeding mothers are also advised not to take CETIRIZINE without consulting a doctor.
• Be cautious while driving and engaging in activities which require mental and physical coordination. CETIRIZINE can cause mild drowsiness and sleepiness.
• Keep your doctor informed if you have or had any previous history of heart, kidney or liver diseases.
• Speak with your doctor instantly if you are experiencing unusual swelling, rashes or fluctuations in heartbeats.
• You can take other medicines along with CETIRIZINE for example paracetamol and antibiotics to bring quick relief to your symptoms as CETIRIZINE has minimal drug-drug interaction.
• If your symptoms, allergy and asthma induced complications such as wheezing, bronchitis, allergic rhinitis increase inspite of taking the medicine for more than 3-4 days, then check with your doctor immediately. There are very high chances that allergic symptoms have gone uncontrolled.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How does CETIRIZINE help? A. CETIRIZINE is very effective in arresting a wide spectrum of allergies. When allergic reactions occur in the body the body produces a chemical called "histamines" hence CETIRIZINE helps in arresting the histamines as it is an antihistamine and brings us relief from symptoms of allergies such as sneezing, rashes, swelling, itching and runny nose.
Q. Can I take CETIRIZINE on an empty stomach? A. You can take CETIRIZINE irrespective of meals or on an empty stomach. However, take it as soon as possible to arrest allergy and get instant relief from allergic symptoms.
Q. Can I use CETIRIZINE to treat cold? A. CETIRIZINE is not the first line of medicine to treat cold but it extensively used to treat cold or allergy symptoms such as sneezing, itching, watery eyes, or runny nose. Do not take it for more than 2-3 days if you don't get relief. See a doctor if your symptoms persists.
Q. Can I take CETIRIZINE twice a day? A. The normal adult dosage is 5mg to 10mg taken at the same time each day. It is not suggested to take more than the recommended dosage. But if the allergy is severe then your doctor may suggest taking it twice a day to arrest the existing conditions. Do not take it twice a day by yourself.
Q. Does CETIRIZINE cause sedation? A. Yes, CETIRIZINE causes slight sedation (drowsiness). CETIRIZINE acts as a highly selective antagonist of the histamine H1 receptor. CETIRIZINE crosses the blood–brain barrier only slightly, and for this reason, it produces minimal sedation compared to many other antihistamines. You are advised to take it in the evening or night time to avoid drowsiness and sleepiness during the day. But if you are having severe allergic reactions and the doctor has asked you to take twice a day then please follow doctor’s instructions.