Cefepime: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT CEFEPIME
CEFEPIME belongs to the class of cephalosporin antibiotics. CEFEPIME is used to treat bacterial infections of the respiratory tract, urinary tract, skin and reproductive tract.
• Injection site reaction
• Pain and inflammation at the injection site
• Anaemia (lack of blood)
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR CEFEPIME
• Do not self-administer. CEFEPIME is usually administered by a doctor or nurse.
• Before undergoing any diagnostic tests while taking CEFEPIME, please inform your doctor as CEFEPIME might affect the results of certain diagnostic tests such as coombs test and urine glucose test by giving false positive reaction.
• If you previously had asthma or any other allergic reactions like itching and skin rash, please inform your doctor before taking CEFEPIME.
• Inform your doctor if you have kidney problems before taking CEFEPIME as elimination of CEFEPIME might be affected.
• Keep your doctor informed about all the ongoing medications before taking CEFEPIME.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How is CEFEPIME administered? A. CEFEPIME is administered as an intramuscular (into muscle) or intravenous (into a vein) injection or infusion. Intravenous administration is preferred in patients suffering with severe infections or particularly if there is the possibility of shock.
Q. Does CEFEPIME treat bacterial meningitis? A. Yes, CEFEPIME may be used to treat bacterial meningitis (bacterial infection of brain and spinal cord) in infants and children. CEFEPIME is a cephalosporin antibiotic which inhibits the synthesis of bacterial cell wall thereby, prevents the growth and kills bacteria in the brain and spinal cord and treats bacterial meningitis.
Q. Can I take CEFEPIME if I am allergic to penicillin? A. No, you are recommended to avoid taking CEFEPIME if you are allergic to penicillin, CEFEPIME or any other antibiotics such as monobactams and carbapenems as it may result in adverse effects such as shortness of breath, skin rash, itching, runny nose and fever.
Q. Does CEFEPIME cause diarrhea? A. Yes, CEFEPIME may cause diarrhea. However, if the condition persists or worsens, please consult your doctor immediately as it might be due to inflammation in the intestine.
Q. Can I take amikacin with CEFEPIME? A. No, you are not recommended to take amikacin with CEFEPIME as taking aminoglycoside antibiotics with CEFEPIME might result in kidney problems. However, please consult your doctor before taking other medicines with CEFEPIME.