Bisacodyl: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT BISACODYL
BISACODYL belongs to a group of medicines called stimulant laxatives. It is used to treat constipation and also in emptying the bowel before bowel examination/surgery.
• Abdominal pain
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR BISACODYL
• Take BISACODYL with a glass of water.
• BISACODYL is recommended to take at bedtime as BISACODYL may take about 10-12 hours to work.
• You are recommended to maintain a time gap of 1 hour between taking BISACODYL and antacids, or milk products because they may reduce the absorption of BISACODYL.
• Do not take BISACODYL unnecessarily for long duration. It can be harmful.
• BISACODYL is recommended for children above 10 years of age.
• If your symptoms do not go away after taking BISACODYL for 5 days, discuss with your doctor. You may require other medicines for treating your symptoms effectively.
• Inform your doctor if you have or had appendicitis, severe abdominal pain, intestinal obstruction, inflammation of the bowel, blockage in the intestine and severe dehydration.
• Pregnant women, women trying to conceive and breast-feeding mothers are recommended to check with the doctor before taking BISACODYL.
• Check with your doctor before taking other medicines along with BISACODYL.
• Before driving or performing any strenuous activity after taking BISACODYL make sure you are alert and normal enough to take up the above activities as this medicine may induce dizziness.
• Always keep your doctor informed about the ongoing medications or the ones which you have taken in the past, including over-the-counter medicines and herbal medicines.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How does BISACODYL work? A. BISACODYL stimulates nerve endings in the walls of colon and rectum. This makes the muscles in the bowel wall contract and with increased force moves the stool to the rectum through colon, thus empties the bowel.
Q. Does BISACODYL helps in losing weight? A. No, people taking BISACODYL for weight loss are highly misguided. Because BISACODYL won't help with weight loss.
Q. Can BISACODYL cause dehydration? A. Yes, BISACODYL is known to cause dehydration because BISACODYL draws fluid from the body into the intestine to soften and increase the bulk of the stool. So, you are advised to drink enough fluids while taking BISACODYL to avoid dehydration as well as other serious electrolyte imbalances.
Q. Which food I should avoid if I am suffering from constipation? A. You are advised to avoid foods such as puddings, pastries, sweets, cheese, fried foods as these all can make the constipation conditions worse. You should eat balanced diet containing high-fibre foods such as wholegrain breads, cereals, fruit and vegetables.
Q. Can I take BISACODYL with diuretics? A. No, you are not suggested to take BISACODYL with diuretics. Combination of both can lead to loss of excess fluid from the body and may cause extreme thirst and dehydration. Check with your doctor before taking two together.