AMLODIPINE: Uses, Dosage, Side effects, Composition & more - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT AMLODIPINE
AMLODIPINE is used for lowering blood pressure (hypertension) and treating chest pain (angina pectoris).
• Swelling (oedema)
• Visual disturbances
• Feeling sick
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR AMLODIPINE
• Take AMLODIPINE daily at the same time of the day irrespective of meals for best results.
• Depending upon your age, weight and condition your doctor will decide the dosage do not self- medicate yourself. Elderly people should take it in a lower dose as prescribed by the doctor.
• A low-fat diet along with exercising is highly recommended to enhance and compliment treatment with AMLODIPINE.
• Consumption of alcohol along with AMLODIPINE is not recommended.
• Do not give it to children below 6 years of age until and unless prescribed by a specialist and dose to be closely monitored in teenagers below 18 years of age.
• Do not take AMLODIPINE if you are planning to conceive or pregnant. Breast feeding mothers are also advised not to take it without consulting a doctor.
• Keep your doctor informed if you have or had any previous history of heart, kidney or liver diseases.
• Speak with your doctor instantly if you have sudden dip in blood pressure, severe allergic rashes and swelling in the ankle, face, lips or mouth or extreme tiredness with muscle weakness while taking AMLODIPINE. Your doctor may discontinue or change the medicine.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q) How does AMLODIPINE help? A) AMLODIPINE helps the patients with high blood pressure by relaxing the blood vessels which exert a unwanted force on the arteries and lowering the blood pressure to a desirable level. And patients taking it for chest pain (angina) are helped by keeping the blood supply smooth and easy so that oxygen is supplied everywhere and the heart functions properly preventing chest pain.
Q) Can AMLODIPINE cause sleepiness? A) Yes, It has been reported that initial beginning of the treatment of AMLODIPINE induces sleepiness. Hence you are recommended not to drive or perform any activity which requires mental and physical alertness particularly after taking AMLODIPINE Wait until you are feeling completely alert and alright. If AMLODIPINE is interfering with your work you can opt to take it in the evening or night.
Q) Can AMLODIPINE cause swelling in the ankle? A) Yes, AMLODIPINE can cause swelling in the foot and ankle. You are advised to not hang your feet in the position for a long time and keep it elevated while you are sitting or lying down with a support. If the swelling does not subside speak with your doctor for further guidance.
Q) Can AMLODIPINE be taken with antibiotics? A) Some antibiotics such as clarithromycin have shown drug-drug interactions leading to unpleasant side effects. Hence keep your doctor informed and then proceed with any antibiotic medication.
Q) Can AMLODIPINE be taken with simvastatin? A) No, you are not recommended to take AMLODIPINE and simvastatin together because of unpleasant side effects. However check with your doctor.
Q) Is AMLODIPINE safe for use in elderly patients? A) AMLODIPINE should be used with caution and close monitoring in elderly patients. Specially patients who are above 70 years of age. There may be a possibility of very low blood pressure hence precaution to be taken.