Amitriptyline: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Composition & More - Zoylo
INFORMATION ABOUT AMITRIPTYLINE
AMITRIPTYLINE is a tricyclic antidepressant(TCA) that is used to treat depression, neuropathic pain, migraine in adults and bed-wetting in children.
• Irregular heart beat
It is not necessary for all people to experience the above side-effects.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR AMITRIPTYLINE
• Take AMITRIPTYLINE with or without food at same time for best results.
• AMITRIPTYLINE is prescribed to treat bedwetting in children and not for depression, nerve pain and migraines.
• While taking AMITRIPTYLINE, avoid consuming alcohol as it might increase the sedative effect.
• Elderly people should take AMITRIPTYLINE with caution as they may suffer from side effects more likely.
• Always check with your doctor before taking other medication along with AMITRIPTYLINE.
• Keep a check on your weight while on treatment with AMITRIPTYLINE as AMITRIPTYLINE may cause weight gain.
• Bring to your doctor’s notice if you have heart rhythm disorders, hypotension, depression or mania.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How does AMITRIPTYLINE work? A. AMITRIPTYLINE treats depression by enhancing mood-enhancing chemical (serotonin and noradrenaline) levels in the brain and improves emotions, mood, behaviour and perception. AMITRIPTYLINE relieves pain (nerve pain and migraine) by interfering with the pain signals in brain and spinal cord. AMITRIPTYLINE treats bedwetting by working on the bladder with its antispasmodic effect (prevent sudden involuntary muscular contraction of the stomach, intestine or urinary bladder).
Q. What is the best time to take AMITRIPTYLINE? A. AMITRIPTYLINE should be taken as per doctor's instructions. Taking AMITRIPTYLINE during bedtime is beneficial as it induces sleepiness and drowsiness. But if you are doctor has asked you to take twice a day then please follow doctor’s instructions.
Q. Does AMITRIPTYLINE cause erectile dysfunction? A. Yes, AMITRIPTYLINE is known to cause erectile dysfunction but depression itself may also affect arousal and libido. However, it is not necessary for all people to experience it. Discuss with your doctor before starting the treatment.
Q. Does AMITRIPTYLINE cause weight gain? A. Yes, AMITRIPTYLINE may cause minimal weight gain as it may restrict some physical activity due to its sedative nature. It is advisable to follow diet and exercise while you are on this medication. Discuss with your doctor if you think you’ve put on excessive weight.
Q. Can I take AMITRIPTYLINE with tramadol? No, it is not advised to take AMITRIPTYLINE with tramadol as tramadol with AMITRIPTYLINE may increase the risk of seizures and also life-threatening condition called serotonin syndrome and which in turn may increase the risk of suicidal tendency.